Skip to content ↓

St Wilfrid's Catholic School

Subject Leader:                     Miss C Treagus

Travel & Tourism Teacher:   Mr R Calver & Miss K Perrin

Website:                  St Wilfrid's Catholic School - Travel & Tourism


Key Stage 4

The BTEC Tech Award in Travel and Tourism is a practical course, where research and investigation are the main skills used. There are a total of three components that are assessed. One of the units is an examination which accounts for 40% of the final grade and the remaining 60% of the course is assessed through internally assessed assignments.  


The three units that students study are: 

  • Component 1: Travel and Tourism Organisations and Destinations
    In this unit Learners will investigate travel and tourism organisations in the UK, their ownership, aims, key products and services, and how they work together. They will explore the role of different consumer technologies within the travel and tourism industry. Learners will understand the different types of tourism and different types of visitor, and will investigate the features of and routes to popular tourist destinations.
  • Component 2: Customer Needs in Travel and Tourism
    In this unit earners will investigate how organisations use market research to identify travel and tourism trends and identify customer needs and preferences. They will apply their understanding by exploring how specific needs are met by organisations and how travel planning meets customer needs and preferences.
  • Component 3: Influences on Global Travel and Tourism
    Learners will explore the different factors that may influence global travel and tourism, and how travel and tourism organisations and destinations respond to these factors. Learners will examine the potential impacts of tourism at global destinations and how destinations can manage the impacts of tourism and control tourism development to achieve sustainable tourism.


Key Stage 5

This is a two-year course where students complete a BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate in Travel and Tourism which is broadly equivalent to one A Level.  


It is assessed through 4 units, 2 of which are internally assessed pieces of coursework and there is one externally assessed exam and one externally assessed controlled assessment. 


The course is composed of a variety of units as follows: 




The world of Travel and Tourism 


This unit provides the foundation for learners to study other units in travel and tourism. They will explore the key components and scale of the industry, using data to analyse key trends and their impact.

Global Destinations 


Learners investigate and analyse information regarding the features and appeal of global destinations, travel planning, and the factors and trends affecting the changing popularity of global destinations. 

Principles of marketing in travel and tourism 


Learners focus on how to develop a successful marketing plan for use by travel and tourism organisations to attract and engage customers. 

Visitor Attractions 


Learners develop analytical skills as they investigate the nature and role of both built and natural visitor attractions, their commercial success, appeal, response to diverse visitor needs and the importance of delivering a memorable visitor experience.